Out of Commission

I have been a bit busy lately. My college cancelled a class I wanted to take in JavaScript. I decided to take matters into my own hands and learn the programming language myself. I bought the college textbook on Amazon and started to learn. I find the best way to learn is to actually code in the language. I do all the exercises at the end of each chapter.

So far I have gone through about 10 chapters. At first I did not like JavaScript much. But I am learning to appreciate some things. JavaScript is an interpreted language. When there is an error, the browser knows exactly which line has the error. But let's get back to the beginning. What the heck is JavaScript?

JavaScript is a language invented by the now defunct Netscape. It is a scripting style language that runs in the web browser. The goal of the language was to add the ability to do dynamic operations on web pages. Note that JavaScript is unrelated to Java, which is a general purpose programming language. JavaScript is now starting to be used on servers as well. But that is a story for another post.

Next week I plan to enter a game writing contest to generate a game like Angband. And I am going to code the darn thing in JavaScript if at all possible. I did the same exercise in the past when I was learning the Java programming language. After I get JavaScript out of my system, expect more posts on hacking material.