Making Windows Fast

A friend of mine was complaining how slow their computer was. It was taking around 5 minutes to copy a file locally. That did not sound right. He was running Windows Vista. Luckily I have never ran that version of Windows. How do you make such a beast run faster? It seems to be a black art.

To start with, I have heard that you should have at least 1GB of RAM to run Windows Vista. And it always helps to have more memory. But I doubt that is the specific cause of this slowness. Another hardware option I read about was to get a faster hard drive. Upgrade from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200rpm one will give you some gains. That also did not seem to be the root cause.

I plan to review how Windows works, and what might make a system slow. Then I can try these things out on this machine.