Hacker Book List

I just went through this massive list of hacker news books. Wow. Where are I going to get the cash to purchase a bunch of these goodies? I mean they don't carry most of those at the library. Anybody know a good way to get sought after books for cheap?

Well here are some of the books off the list that I have read. Check out Code Complete by Steve McConnell. It will tell you how to write code the right way. Then there is the Mythical Man Month. This is useful if you are writers code with a bunch of other people (on a team). One book a buddy of mine just got is How To Win Friends and Influence People. Dale Carnegie wrote this one way back when. It is timeless.

Next is Debugging by David Agans. I wrote a blog post about this one. Then I put some random book cover image in the post. The author emailed me complaining. Sheesh. Good book anyway. Another book on the list is The One Minute Manager. Can't say I remember much from the read. You might as well skip it.

A good one is The UNIX Programming Environment. I just consulted this book last month when working on a UNIX project. Good stuff. I read Dive Into Python because I got a free copy. Don't remember much about it either. Finally I checked out Getting Real by 37Signals Corporation. That one was free too. You might want to check it out if you are starting up a company on your own.

Happy reading.